Monday, October 15, 2012

DIY Geometric

Geometric jewelry is a big trend right now. Every store I've been in recently has some sort of triangle-shaped necklaces for sale that are brightly colored and immediately catch your eye. So instead of splurging and buying one for $30-$40 dollars, I decided to try making one myself! I admit, I was worried at first, I do not consider myself a very artsy person...but my final product turned out pretty well and was easier than I thought. So, if I can do it, so can you...try it out! 

First, you'll need to make a little visit to an art store to get some supplies. I went to Michaels Arts and Crafts to get mine. 



While you're there you'll need to get:
1. Clay (oven bake) 
2. A pan
3. Paint- I bought the brand Americana because it has bright colors and is good for painting clay
4. Paint brush
5. Knife (I just grabbed one from my kitchen!) 
6. A chain
7. Circular connectors
8. Nail polish- clear top coat if you want to give your necklace some shine
9. A safety pin

After purchasing the items, I spent a little less than $20 dollars! 




First, you want to get your clay and press it down to flatten it. I used a pen to roll it flat! After you want to get your knife and cut out triangles. I cut out 9 for mine. 




After cutting out your triangles, you want to poke holes into the corners of each triangle. This will allow you to connect them at the end. 






Next, you want to lay your clay triangles onto a pan to bake. Make sure to read your clay package to determine how long and at what temperature to cook at. I cooked my clay at 275 for 30 minutes. 





After you bake your clay, let it cool off for a little. Once its cooled off you're ready for the fun part, PAINTING!! I did about two coats on mine. Once they were completely dry, I slapped on a top coat of clear nail polish to give the triangles a shiny look. 


Next, you want to get the circular connectors and start connecting the triangles into 3 rows. After your rows are complete, connect the top row to your chain and you are good to go! 


I recently wore mine to work and I got so many compliments! People were shocked when I told them I made it myself! 

So now its your turn to DIY in style. 









No comments:

Post a Comment