Monday, October 22, 2012

DIY Cut Outs and Lace

Cut outs, cut outs, cut outs...everywhere I look I see cut out clothing, whether it be on a sweater or a top. Tts a big trend and a fun one at that! If you're a fan of fashion, you'll know that cut outs were big on the runway at the recent fashion week. Being a fashion contour, I decided to try to make my own cut out sweater top and added some lace as a fun detail. To my surprise it was very easy and took no time at all! To make things even better, the outcome was fashionably perfect and now I have cut out sweater requests from my roommates! 

To get started you'll need to pick up a few supplies:
1. A sweater- I just went to a nearby Goodwill and bought a sweater for $5! 
2. A piece of lace- I didn't have time to run to a fabric store to get this so I bought a lace shirt at Goodwill for $3 and cut out a piece of the lace from the top
3. Iron on adhesive tape- you can use a needle and thread or sewing machine as well but who has the time or casually owns a sewing machine? Iron on adhesive tape is an easy substitute and I may have become addicted to using it!
5. A sharpie
6. Scissors
7. A flat surface

Thankfully, I already owned scissors and a sharpie, along with a flat surface (who doesn't?). Oddly enough, I did NOT own an iron but my boyfriend did. Weird. Anyways, all together my purchases came out to a little over 10 dollars!! 


To begin your project, you want to lay your sweater face down on a flat surface so the back of it is facing you. You then want to take your sharpie and draw a heart of the back. It is up to you how large you make your heart, I made mine pretty big so it creates more of a statement! 



You then want to take your scissors and carefully cut out your heart. the easiest way to do this is to cut down the center of your heart first. You can then cut out each side. Make sure to cut along the line so your black mark gets chopped off! 


Now that your heart is cut out, you want to plug in your iron to let it heat up! While its doing that turn your sweater inside out. You are then going to take your iron on adhesive tape and start cutting pieces off. You then lay the pieces on the sweater tracing/outlining the heart. After you want to carefully lay your piece of lace on top of the heart. Make sure none of the pieces of adhesive tape move. Once you do that you are ready to iron! 


The easiest way to iron on the tape is to just place the iron on top of each piece of tape. Let it sit there for a few seconds so it can melt the tape. Once you are done ironing the whole heart, let it sit for a few seconds to cool off. The final step: Turn your sweater inside out and look at your final product!



And waahhhlaaaa! You are all done and ready to sport your new sweater! Get ready for a whole lot of compliments and a lot of "where'd you get that?" 



Now its time for you to try it and DIY in style!!


No comments:

Post a Comment