Sunday, November 18, 2012

DIY Collars


Recently I've noticed that embellished collars are really in right now. Collars in general have been in for a while, but now to spice them up, stores have been coming out with embellished collars AND embellished collared necklaces! I think the embellished collared necklaces are great because you can wear them with almost anything, collared shirts and non-collared shirts! They are also a great statement piece that can easily take your outfit from casual to fancy shmancy! After seeing some great collared necklaces in a store near my work, I decided instead of buying it, I'll take a crack at it and  make my own! 

First, you need to get some supplies!

What You'll Need: 
1. 1 piece of tan felt
2. Buttons and pearls- and other accessories to decorate your necklace
3. A jewelry chain
4. jewelry closures- I just used the extras I had from my other projects below
5. Paper stencil
6. Hot glue gun and glue sticks



First you want to take your stencil, pin it to your piece of felt and then trace it. The trick to this is to fold your felt in half so that when you cut it out you will get two collar shapes that are connected! Make sure to trace it twice because you will need to pairs of collars. 



Now that you have traced it, cut it out!


Next you want to glue the chain onto one of the pieces of the felts. After, glue your extra felt collar on top of the other, to cover the chain. 


After you glue the other felt on top of the felt with the chain, start glueing down your buttons! I bought a string of pearls to line my collar. As for buttons, you can easily buy some, fortunately I have a huge jar of vintage buttons that my grandmother gave me! Yay for vintage buttons. 


Now that you are completed with your collar, ad the closures and time to wear your new embellished collared necklace! 



I already love my collared necklace!! It ads some spice to every outfit you pair it with! Now its your turn! Its time for you to DIY in style!

No comments:

Post a Comment